Industrial Scientific Gas Detectors | Carbon Monoxide - CO

Hazard:
Flammable -
Will explode; LEL 12.5%
Classification:
Health -
Extremely toxic
Synonyms:
Carbon oxide, flue gas, monoxide
Exposure limits:
(OSHA)
PEL\TWA: 50 ppm
 
(ACGIH)
STEL: 400 ppm/ 15 min.
 
(OSHA)
IDLH: 1500 ppm / 30 min.
 
Industries:
steel mills, fire departments, garages, loading docks, electrical utilities, and general industries
 
 
 
 
Carbon monoxide is a colorless gas. To the human senses it is invisible. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and will appear naturally in any situation where burning has taken place.

Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic gas which is termed a toxic asphyxiant, meaning it reduces the oxygen transport properties of the blood. It reacts with the hemoglobin in the blood forming carboxyhemoglobin which prevents the hemoglobin from transferring oxygen. Low PPM doses of carbon monoxide can cause headaches and dizziness. If the victim is removed to fresh air no permanent damages will result. High doses can be fatal.
 
 
 
 
Effects of Various CO Levels
Carbon Monoxide Level in PPM Resulting Conditions on Humans
50 Permissible Exposure Level for 8 hours (OSHA).
200 Possible mild frontal headache in 2 to 3 hours.
400 Frontal headache and nausea after 1 to 2 hours. Occipital after 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours.
800 Headache, dizziness, and nausea in 45 minutes. Collapse and possible death in 2 hours
1,600 Headache, dizziness, and nausea in 20 minutes. Collapse and death in 1 hour.
3,200 Headache and dizziness in 5 to 10 minutes. Unconsciousness and danger of death in 30 minutes
6,400 Headache and dizziness in 1 to 2 minutes. Unconsciousness and danger of death in 10 to 15 minutes.
12,800 Immediate effects-unconsciousness. Danger of death in 1 to 3 minutes.
 
 
 
 

Recommeded Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Select Layout: